Current Treatments
BETASERON® (interferon beta-1b) is indicated for the treatment of relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis to reduce the frequency of clinical exacerbations. Patients with multiple sclerosis in whom efficacy has been demonstrated include patients who have experienced a first clinical episode and have MRI features consistent with multiple sclerosis

AVONEX® (Interferon beta-1a) is a 166 amino acid glycoprotein with a predicted molecular weight of approximately 22,500 daltons. It is produced by recombinant DNA technology using genetically engineered Chinese Hamster Ovary cells into which the human interferon beta gene has been introduced. The amino acid sequence of AVONEX® is identical to that of natural human interferon beta.

COPAXONE is the brand name for glatiramer acetate (formerly known as copolymer-1). Glatiramer acetate, the active ingredient of COPAXONE, consists of the acetate salts of synthetic polypeptides, containing four naturally occurring amino acids: L-glutamic acid, L-alanine, L-tyrosine, and L-lysine with an average molar fraction of 0.141, 0.427, 0.095, and 0.338, respectively. The average molecular weight of glatiramer acetate is 5,000 – 9,000 daltons. Glatiramer acetate is identified by specific antibodies.

Rebif® (interferon beta-1a) is a purified 166 amino acid glycoprotein with a molecular weight of approximately 22,500 daltons. It is produced by recombinant DNA technology using genetically engineered Chinese Hamster Ovary cells into which the human interferon beta gene has been introduced. The amino acid sequence of Rebif® is identical to that of natural fibroblast derived human interferon beta. Natural interferon beta and interferon beta-1a (Rebif®) are glycosylated with each containing a single N-linked complex carbohydrate moiety.

Tysabri is a monoclonal antibody that affects the actions of the body's immune system. Monoclonal antibodies are made to target and destroy only certain cells in the body. This may help to protect healthy cells from damage. Tysabri is used to treat relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis.
Gilenya™ is a new class of medication called a phingosine 1-phosphate receptormodulator, which is thought to act by retaining certain white blood cells (lympohcytes) in the lymph nodes, thereby preventing those cells from crossing the blood-brain barrier into the central nervous system (CNS). Preventing the entry of these cells into the CNS reduces inflammatory damage to nerve cells.


Early Symptoms
The most common early symptoms of MS include:
* Tingling * Numbness
* Loss of balance
* Weakness in one or more limbs
* Blurred or double vision

Less common symptoms of MS may include
* Slurred speech
* Sudden onset of paralysis
* Lack of coordination
* Cognitive difficulties
Listed above, the early symptoms. I tend to be a poster child for these. The symptoms that occur later on are too numerous just to list. There will be a link included that will get you to a site where these symptoms are listed and explained. Keep in mind that someone may have some of these or many of these, there is no way to tell.
Multiple sclerosis statistics show that approximately 250,000 to 350,000 people in the United States have been diagnosed with this disease. The life expectancy for people with multiple sclerosis is nearly the same as for those without MS. Because of this, multiple sclerosis statistics place the annual cost of MS in the United States in the billions of dollars. MS is five times more prevalent in temperate climates -- such as those found in the northern United States, Canada, and Europe -- than in tropical regions. Furthermore, the age of 15 seems to be significant in terms of risk for developing the disease. Some studies indicate that a person moving from a high-risk (temperate) to a low-risk (tropical) area before the age of 15 tends to adopt the risk (in this case, low) of the new area and vice versa. Other studies suggest that people moving after age 15 maintain the risk of the area where they grew up.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Slurry Speech and MS

by Lorna J. Moorhead, MS Moms
Speech is one of the first things that we recognize in children as a great step towards becoming an adult. It is also occasionally one of the first symptoms in MSers who are effected more cognitively than physically. At the times in our life when we most need to communicate about our feelings and needs, our brain cuts off its long term relationship with our mouth. I have tried repeatedly to get these two back together but have only succeeded in a rocky relationship that quits half the time. Yet it amazes me that when I feel I am speaking with the proficiency of a drooling two year old, no-one seems to notice. (Except the two year olds.)

I am beginning to believe that Multiple Sclerosis is not only a sneaky MonSter but that it has a very sick sense of humor. On days when I am proud of myself for appearing only half psychotic, my family tells me that my speech is slurred. I do not hear this; in fact I think my speech has been clearer than ever. Yet when I feel I am struggling to get words out and my mind feels is having some sort of syllable traffic jam, people tell me that they notice nothing. To make things worse, when I apologize for this jolted speech they reply, "Why your speech is much clearer than normal!" (These people should know that there are rules about teasing the crazy people.)

Now either my family is playing a nasty trick on me, and considering the fact that my family's jokes range from perverse to little rubber frogs wrapped as Christmas gifts , this IS possible. Or this feeling of an inability to speak is another one of those brilliantly mischievous and invisible symptoms of MS.

When researching this odd occurrence, I found that the slurring of speech is technically referred to as "dysarthria". Saying this word alone would make a person slur. "Doctor I have Dysssarthhria." Dysarthria is difficult, poorly articulated speech. Looking at this definition I resigned to diagnose all workers of a fast food drive-thru with dysarthria. (I always knew it wasn't MY hearing!) I also vowed to add "dysarthria" to my list of big words as it sounded much more educated than "slurred speech." I have wondered if my doctor even used this word.

On further examination I found that this horrible condition is caused by: Alcohol, badly fitted dentures, or (big surprise) a degenerative neurological disorder. Hmm. Now my family and friends would not believe the denture excuse for one minute. Blaming it on alcohol would not be prudent when at the grocery store at 10am. (Especially if my 5 year old son's kindergarten teacher was there.) I never imagined that alcohol, dentures, and neurological disorder could be put it in the same medical arena. This then led me to wonder about those of us with MS who drink and have dentures. How do they know if it is dysarthria or their teeth? How do the doctor's know that we have MS? Maybe we are all denture sufferers led to drink by our ill fitting teeth.

To make things more complicated as I read on another word flashed across the page. Another word that when pronounced, would cause a dialect teacher to slur. Aphasia. (How is that pronounced anyhow? Af-asia? That sounds like some old historical term for Asia. "Af-Asia", after Asia. But I digress.) Aphasia is impaired expression or comprehension of the spoken or written word, but it has the common courtesy to go away after a period. Hmmm, I wondered so when I have speech attacks, does this mean it's Dysarthria or Aphasia? I glanced over the causes for Aphasia and accidentally snorted my soda. Head trauma, stroke, and Alzheimer's. I'd rather be drunk with bad dentures. (Make that into a bumper sticker and put it on your car.)

This still did not explain the fact that when I slurred I did not notice it and when I felt I was stuttering no-one heard it. Nevertheless, after blowing my nose and cleaning up the soda, it dawned on me. Drunk people believe their speech is clear and I know my Grandpa never seemed to realize his dentures where sticking out of his mouth. (And boy did that lead to some horrible nightmares. Nothing worse than a bushy eye-browed old man with his teeth hanging out chasing you down a hall.)

Now I could begin to grasp the idea that although I did not hear it, it could still be going on. This left me to look for a cure. Surely there was a way to get my tongue back in order. For dysarthria, slurring, the suggested care was "speaking slowly and using hand gestures." I pictured myself giving orders to my pharmacist while slowly speaking and waving my hands. I was pretty sure it wouldn't go over well, although he might slip an extra bottle of pills into my order. Then this report stated that family and friends needed to give me, "the afflicted person" time enough to express themselves. (It was my understanding that even when we die; we feel that we never had enough time to express ourselves anyway.) Yeah right, my five year old was really going to stand around while mommy figured out how to say "clean your room" slowly and while pantomiming sweeping. He might giggle for a moment, but he wouldn't be around for me to finish.

To cure Aphasia the family is urged to give the person reminders when they slip up, such as why the house smells like smoke and they have a string on their finger. It follows by saying that for both afflictions a "calm environment where external stimuli is kept to a minimum is extremely important."

A calm environment. I was equally sure that my family was not going to appreciate my decision to move into the mountains and bury myself in a hole, because that is about where I'd need to go to get calmness in my life. Moreover, how can a person exist without external stimuli and in the case of a MSer external stimuli is everything! The air on our skin can be a disrupting stimuli. I resigned to write my own description of what this speech problem was and how to cure it.

Speech problems in MS are usually caused by brain "notwork-a" and tongue "displace-a". The only way to live with this affliction is to repeat yourself until you get it right, pretend you don't sound funny, or laugh. I suggest the last cure, as it always works for me.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
North Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Well-educated, disabled at this point with Multiple Sclerosis. I am very glad that I was able to do the things that I have been able to do over the years. had to change the picture, this one's more realistic.