Current Treatments
BETASERON® (interferon beta-1b) is indicated for the treatment of relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis to reduce the frequency of clinical exacerbations. Patients with multiple sclerosis in whom efficacy has been demonstrated include patients who have experienced a first clinical episode and have MRI features consistent with multiple sclerosis

AVONEX® (Interferon beta-1a) is a 166 amino acid glycoprotein with a predicted molecular weight of approximately 22,500 daltons. It is produced by recombinant DNA technology using genetically engineered Chinese Hamster Ovary cells into which the human interferon beta gene has been introduced. The amino acid sequence of AVONEX® is identical to that of natural human interferon beta.

COPAXONE is the brand name for glatiramer acetate (formerly known as copolymer-1). Glatiramer acetate, the active ingredient of COPAXONE, consists of the acetate salts of synthetic polypeptides, containing four naturally occurring amino acids: L-glutamic acid, L-alanine, L-tyrosine, and L-lysine with an average molar fraction of 0.141, 0.427, 0.095, and 0.338, respectively. The average molecular weight of glatiramer acetate is 5,000 – 9,000 daltons. Glatiramer acetate is identified by specific antibodies.

Rebif® (interferon beta-1a) is a purified 166 amino acid glycoprotein with a molecular weight of approximately 22,500 daltons. It is produced by recombinant DNA technology using genetically engineered Chinese Hamster Ovary cells into which the human interferon beta gene has been introduced. The amino acid sequence of Rebif® is identical to that of natural fibroblast derived human interferon beta. Natural interferon beta and interferon beta-1a (Rebif®) are glycosylated with each containing a single N-linked complex carbohydrate moiety.

Tysabri is a monoclonal antibody that affects the actions of the body's immune system. Monoclonal antibodies are made to target and destroy only certain cells in the body. This may help to protect healthy cells from damage. Tysabri is used to treat relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis.
Gilenya™ is a new class of medication called a phingosine 1-phosphate receptormodulator, which is thought to act by retaining certain white blood cells (lympohcytes) in the lymph nodes, thereby preventing those cells from crossing the blood-brain barrier into the central nervous system (CNS). Preventing the entry of these cells into the CNS reduces inflammatory damage to nerve cells.


Early Symptoms
The most common early symptoms of MS include:
* Tingling * Numbness
* Loss of balance
* Weakness in one or more limbs
* Blurred or double vision

Less common symptoms of MS may include
* Slurred speech
* Sudden onset of paralysis
* Lack of coordination
* Cognitive difficulties
Listed above, the early symptoms. I tend to be a poster child for these. The symptoms that occur later on are too numerous just to list. There will be a link included that will get you to a site where these symptoms are listed and explained. Keep in mind that someone may have some of these or many of these, there is no way to tell.
Multiple sclerosis statistics show that approximately 250,000 to 350,000 people in the United States have been diagnosed with this disease. The life expectancy for people with multiple sclerosis is nearly the same as for those without MS. Because of this, multiple sclerosis statistics place the annual cost of MS in the United States in the billions of dollars. MS is five times more prevalent in temperate climates -- such as those found in the northern United States, Canada, and Europe -- than in tropical regions. Furthermore, the age of 15 seems to be significant in terms of risk for developing the disease. Some studies indicate that a person moving from a high-risk (temperate) to a low-risk (tropical) area before the age of 15 tends to adopt the risk (in this case, low) of the new area and vice versa. Other studies suggest that people moving after age 15 maintain the risk of the area where they grew up.

Thursday, August 5, 2010

This was posted at an MS support group

This note is not only for myself, but for all my friends and family that have MS and other neurological diseases. The farther I go down this path with this disease, the more frustrating it gets in some ways. I so hope, this reaches at least one person. First of all, yes, most of the time we look just like the rest of the world...normal. For those of us who are blessed, we walk normal, talk normal, dress normal, and react normal just like the rest of the world. At times we may look a little tired, but who doesn't?

Truth is, we are NOT like the rest of the world. There are some crazy things going on inside of our body, that most can't understand, and to different degrees. On most days, I am in excruciating pain. On most days, I am so tired I can't hardly force myself to do just the basic things that need to be done in life. BUT I do, when I can. I'm not whining, if I say I'm tired...it simply means I'm exhausted. If I say I'm hurting, it means it feels like someone's literally trying to rip my body apart, inside out. I don't do things because I don't want to, I don't do things, because on some days I can't. Just like the rest of the people with this disease and others.

Guilt...big issue in our lives. We hate to say no I can't do it, because we don't want to let you down, and it also feels as if we are letting ourselves down. But you know what? We aren't looking for sympathy, sarcasm, and no we aren't making things up to get attention. I, personally, could think of a lot better ways to get attention LOL..some might not be considered legal hahahahaha.

Even tho we are different in so many ways, and have a hard time expressing that to others, there are a lot of ways we are just the same as you. We LOVE to laugh. We like to have fun. We love spending time with those we love. We are still the same people we always were, we are just limited, to some extent on some days.

One thing for sure, we need you now more than ever. Walking off for you might be easy, but it's one of the hardest things we face. Every day we get up and battle a disease as to which, we have no idea what is doing to us from one day to the next. So before you sit back and say what you would do in our shoes, let me say, you have no idea. Point I'm trying to make is this, we are people...we hurt...we love...we cry...we laugh..and most of alll..even tho some parts of our lives have had to change all of them do not.

For those of you we love, we love more. We realize now just how much we have in you. We appreciate the small things so much more, and the larger things, that are irreplaceable, we'd lay down and die for. We love you, we need you, and by alll means , try to understand. You make the difference in our lives everyday. For you heroes who have stuck by us and made us laugh when we didn't feel like even smiling, I admire you. For those of you who have walked out, I suggest you do some research and self searching within who you really are.

For all of you who have MS ....I love you and you are my family. Even tho we are different, I take pride in the different I am. MS has made me a far better person and you, my MS family, are some of the best people I've had the privilege to come to know. We just have to keep praying for a cure, and pushing for understanding.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
North Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Well-educated, disabled at this point with Multiple Sclerosis. I am very glad that I was able to do the things that I have been able to do over the years. had to change the picture, this one's more realistic.